- Step 1: Enroll in your desired course
- Step 2: Complete the Financial Assistance application: https://courses.edx.org/financial-assistance/
- Step 3: Wait for the application decision
About Financial Assistance
edX offers up to a 90% discount on our verified certificates to learners who cannot afford to pay full price. Assistance is available in most courses that offer verified certificates, however, a few courses and programs are not eligible.
You can be approved up to five times in a twelve-month period for financial assistance.
Step 1: Enroll in your desired course on edX.org
To apply for financial assistance in a single course, enroll in the course as an audit learner, and then complete the financial assistance application.
To apply for financial assistance in a MicroMasters, MicroBachelors, XSeries or Professional Certificate Program, you will need to enroll as an audit learner in each course in the program individually and then complete the application. It is not possible to complete a financial assistance application for the entire program as a bundle. We recommend that you enroll and complete each course one by one.
Financial Assistance coupons will not work applied to program bundled purchases made using the 'Pursue the Program' button. They can only be applied to upgrades in single courses.
Some courses are not eligible for Financial Assistance.
Step 2: Complete the Financial Assistance application
You can complete the application at this link: https://courses.edx.org/financial-assistance/
1. Select your course from the Course dropdown. You can only apply for one course at a time. If you do not see your course in the dropdown, it may not be eligible for Financial Assistance.
2. Confirm your annual household income range.
3. Write three distinct essay responses of at least 1250 characters in order to submit. (Characters include letters, numbers, spaces, and punctuation. 1250 characters is about 200-300 words.)
Step 3: Wait for the application decision
After you submit the application, our team will review your application within approximately 2-4 days.
If your application is accepted, you will receive an email with a coupon code for a 90% discount. You can then apply the code on the payment form for the discounted rate. You can read instructions on how to apply your coupon code in this article.
If your application is not accepted, you will receive an email response.