Submit your response to an Open Response Assessment question
- Click Create response to begin working on your response.
- Read each question carefully: Some course teams include important information in the question, such as how long a response must be, or specific topics that your response must cover. The total word count for your response cannot be more than 10,000 words.
- Enter your response: For each question, enter your response into the field under Your Response. In some assignments, you can submit images or other types of files. If you're stuck on this step, please review Submit a File with Your Response.
- When you have finished answering all of the questions, select Submit response. Then click Submit response on the dialog box to confirm, or Go back to cancel.
- If you need more time, you can select Finish the rest later and then come back and submit them later. Your draft auto-saves every 5 seconds.
After you submit your response, the next step, which is usually either assessment training or peer assessment, becomes available. However, you do not have to start the next step right away. If you want to stop working and come back later, just refresh or reopen your browser when you come back.
For more information about the steps in an ORA assignment, review Steps in an ORA assignment.
Submit a team response
If your course uses teams, there is a Teams tab on the course navigational menu.
Submitting a team response is largely the same as submitting an individual response, with the following exceptions:
- Only one response can be submitted per team so you will have to coordinate with your team members on a shared response.
- Your text response is only visible to you while drafting a response. When you or a team member submit a response, the submitting member's response will be used for all members of the team. Because of this, we suggest coordinating with your teammates on a shared text response and who will submit it.
- If file uploads are enabled for the assessment, all members of the team can upload files. Files can be seen and downloaded by all members of the team but can only be deleted by the uploading member.
After your team submits a response, it must be graded by a staff member (see How are open response assessments graded?) Once graded, you can return to the assessment to see the team’s grade and feedback in the “Your Grade” section of the assessment.