A timed exam is a special assessment that you must complete within a limited amount of time. The time limit is fixed by the course team, so it can be different in two different courses.
When you start taking a timed exam, a timer on the course page counts down the amount of time that you have remaining to complete the exam. You cannot pause or reset the timer. Navigating away from or closing the exam will not stop the timer. When time runs out, your exam is automatically submitted.
The time limit for an exam applies to all of the tabs (units) within the exam. You should be sure to review each tab of the exam before you submit, or before the timer runs out.
When you review the outline on the course homepage, a timed exam is indicated with the text 'Timed Exam' below the subsection that contains the timed exam.
When you navigate to a subsection that features a timed exam, a message appears "Subsection is a Timed Exam" with an indication of the length of time.
Taking a timed exam
- Open the timed exam page in the course.
- Find the length of the time limit on the exam page. Make sure that you have enough time available to complete the exam.
Note: You will not be able to pause or restart the exam after you begin.
- Select I am ready to start this timed exam.
Once you click I am ready to start this timed exam, the exam timer cannot be stopped. Note: Taking multiple timed exams at once is not recommended. Only the most-recently-started exam's timer will display, and you must end that exam in order to see other timers.
- Complete the problems in each unit of the exam. Select Submit to score the problems in the unit. If you do not select Submit, your responses will not be scored.
- After you have completed and checked all the units in the exam, select End My Exam at the top of the course page. If you run out of time, the exam will end automatically.
- After you click End my Exam, you will be asked to confirm that you want to submit. If you are certain you wish to end the exam session, click Yes, submit my timed exam. This will end your exam. If you need more time or clicked End My Exam accidentally, click No, I'd like to continue working.
Note: You must select Submit for each of the problems within the exam. If you submit an exam without selecting Submit on any problem, it won't be graded.
Hiding the exam timer
By default, in timed exams you see a timer that shows the amount of time remaining. You can hide or show the timer.
- To hide the timer, select the eye icon that is located next to the timer.
- To show the timer, select the eye icon again.
Requesting additional time
To accommodate specific needs, course teams and instructors can increase the time allowed to complete an exam. Contact your course team to get information on whether extra time may be available for your exam.
Note: You must request additional time before you begin a timed exam.