Proctored exams are timed exams that you take while proctoring software monitors your computer. Proctored exams are required only if you are in the verified track of a course. If you are not enrolled in the verified track, you take the same or an equivalent exam, without online proctoring.
- You cannot take proctored exams using the edX mobile app.
- You will need to install the proctoring software on your computer.
- Before you take the exam, you must verify your identity by taking a webcam photo of your face and a photo ID.
- Before you take the exam, you must use a webcam to scan the desk and the room where you will take the exam.
- While you take the exam, you must follow edX's proctoring rules and requirements. If your course exam has different rules, your course team will let you know.
- While you take the exam, the proctoring software monitors your computer, including any software that is running. The software also records video and audio.
After you submit your exam, the exam session is reviewed by the proctoring service. You will receive results within 5 days of submitting the exam.
To be eligible for course credit, you must pass the exam and also receive a Satisfactory result for the proctoring review.
View the Proctoring Software System Requirements to ensure that your set-up will work, as well as the steps to prepare to take a proctored exam. You must have a working webcam, and we recommend 1GB of free space on your machine. Your space should be uncluttered, with no writing visible on walls or surfaces, and you must be alone in the room. More details about your test-taking environment will be provided within the course materials.
Proctoring services on edX are supplied by a 3rd party vendor called Software Secure. If you get stuck or have a technical issue with the proctoring software you are welcome to contact Software Secure's chat which is available 24/7 or call them at 1-844-224-9759.