edX sends two different kinds of emails:
- Promotional messages about edX.org offerings. Anyone who agrees to marketing messages when they create their account may receive these. Read more about how to unsubscribe from marketing messages.
- Course updates sent by the partner team running a course. You'll only receive these messages if you're enrolled in a course that's sending out updates. Read more about how to unsubscribe from course updates.
Steps to unsubscribe from edX promotional emails
You can unsubscribe from edX marketing emails by clicking the Unsubscribe button at the bottom of the message.
With some email providers like Gmail, these options might not be visible in the initial message view. Instead, there might be a "[Message clipped] View entire message" link at the bottom of the page. Select this link to view the entire message, including the unsubscribe option.
You'll know you've successfully unsubscribed if a new tab opens with a confirmation message, "You've successfully unsubscribed from our emails.'
Steps to unsubscribe from course updates
To unsubscribe from course update email messages, follow these steps:
1. Visit your edX personal dashboard*
(If you have an edX subsidy through your employer or academic institution, you may see a popup redirecting you to your enterprise dashboard. Click cancel")
2. On the Courses page of the dashboard, find the course that's sending unwanted messages.
3. Select the Settings 'gear' icon next to the View Course or View Archived Course button. For screen readers, select Course options for the course that's sending unwanted messages.
4. Select Email Settings. For screen readers, from Available Actions select Email Settings.
5. This will open a modal for the email settings for the course. Unselect Receive course emails and then select Save Settings.