Most edX courses have the option to audit for free.
Enjoy the audit track
- Start learning for free and upgrade later if the upgrade deadline hasn't passed
- Access course readings and video lectures
- Complete any ungraded, practice assignments if the course features any
- Participate in the the course discussion forums
- View progress of any ungraded practice assignments
- Expires after the estimated course length has passed
How to enroll in the audit track
If a course is available in the audit track, on the course introduction page the Price will include a FREE option. Click the Enroll Now button to enroll. If you're interested in auditing one of our programs, please see this article for steps to enroll.
After you click Enroll you'll have the option to Pursue the Verified Track or Audit This Course (No Certificate). If you select Audit This Course you can still upgrade later if the upgrade deadline hasn't passed.
Audit access details
As a free audit learner, you will have temporary access to all course materials except graded assignments, and you will not earn a certificate the end of the course. You will be able to access the free content for the expected course length posted on the course introduction page in the catalog.
The audit access counts from the date and time that you first enrolled in the course, or if you enrolled before the course started, it counts from the date and time that the course opened.
Once the audit access duration has passed, you'll lose access to the course and you will no longer be able to click View Course on your dashboard. If the upgrade deadline has not passed, you can extend access by upgrading to the verified track.