Most edX courses have the option to audit for free.
- Why enroll in the audit track?
- How do I enroll in the audit track?
- What do I need to know about audit access?
- Can I earn a certificate for free?
Enjoy the audit track
- Start learning for free and upgrade later if the upgrade deadline hasn't passed
- Access course readings and video lectures
- Complete any ungraded, practice assignments if the course features any
- Participate in the the course discussion forums
- View progress of any ungraded practice assignments
- Expires after the estimated course length has passed
How to enroll in the audit track
If a course is available in the audit track, the course introduction page will mention a FREE option.
Click the Enroll button to enroll.
If you're interested in auditing one of our XSeries, Professional Certificate, MicroMasters, or MicroBachelors programs, please read this article for steps to enroll.
After you click Enroll you'll have the option to Upgrade Now or Continue. If you select Continue you can still upgrade later if the upgrade deadline hasn't passed.
Audit access details
As a free audit learner, you will have temporary access to all course materials except graded assignments, and you will not earn a certificate the end of the course. You will be able to access the free content for the expected course length posted on the course introduction page in the catalog.
The audit access counts from the date and time that you first enrolled in the course, or if you enrolled before the course started, it counts from the date and time that the course opened.
While you have access, any page that features a graded assignment not display the assignment prompt. Instead it will display a message indicating Graded assignments are locked.
On the course homepage, a message on the right hand side will indicate the date your audit access will expire.
Once the audit access duration has passed, you'll lose access to the course and you'll no longer be able to click View Course on your dashboard. If the upgrade deadline has not passed, you can extend access by upgrading to the verified track.
Upgrade to the verified track to earn a certificate
Certificates are not available in the free audit track. If the upgrade deadline has not passed, you may upgrade to the verified track. You can read more about the features of the verified track here.