Many online Master's programs will be connected to one or more edX MicroMasters programs. If you aren't sure online learning is for you or if you'd like to get a feel for the Master's program before you apply, you are welcome to begin the MicroMasters program to start before applying to the program.
The amount of credit awarded for the MicroMasters certificate varies by program. See the individual MicroMasters program page or the Master’s degree page more more details.
There are several benefits to first taking a MicroMasters program before applying to the Master’s degree program it is associated with. These include:
- Try before you buy or apply - See if online learning is right for you, and determine your interest level in the subject matter, before committing your time and money to a full Master’s program.
- Strengthen your application - Successful completion of the MicroMasters program demonstrates an applicant’s ability to tackle the rigorous, graduate-level content in the Master’s program.
- Open admission - MicroMasters programs have no admissions requirements and are open to anyone, but some programs have prerequisites. Learners can start coursework immediately, working towards their goal before completing a formal application.
- Gain valuable, standalone skills - The MicroMasters program is a valuable career transformation tool on its own, recognized by industry leaders for real career relevancy.
- Reduced cost - In some cases, taking the MicroMasters program before you apply will cost less than earning the same credit hours as a matriculated student in the Master’s degree program.