Many online Master's programs will be connected to one or more edX MicroMasters programs. If you aren't sure online learning is for you or if you'd like to get a feel for the Master's program before you apply, you are welcome to begin the MicroMasters program to start before applying to the program.
There are several benefits to first taking a MicroMasters program before applying to the Master’s degree program it is associated with. These include:
- Try before you buy or apply - See if online learning is right for you, and determine your interest level in the subject matter, before committing your time and money to a full Master’s program.
- Strengthen your application - Successful completion of the MicroMasters program demonstrates an applicant’s ability to tackle the rigorous, graduate-level content in the Master’s program.
- Open admission - MicroMasters programs have no admissions requirements and are open to anyone, but some programs have prerequisites. Learners can start coursework immediately, working towards their goal before completing a formal application.
- Gain valuable, standalone skills - The MicroMasters program is a valuable career transformation tool on its own, recognized by industry leaders for real career relevancy.
- Reduced cost - In some cases, taking the MicroMasters program before you apply will cost less than earning the same credit hours as a matriculated student in the Master’s degree program.