If your course uses Software Secure (RPNow) for proctoring, it will likely include an optional practice proctored exam. The practice exam gives you a chance to ensure you have set up the software correctly. The proctoring session for this exam is not reviewed, and this exam is not graded.
To take a practice proctored exam:
- In the course, open the practice exam
- Select 'continue to my practice exam':
3. Click the 'copy exam code' button, and then click the blue 'Start System Check' button:
4. You will then be directed to a new tab, which will prompt you to download the Software Secure application. Please click 'Download Software':
5. Once the download is complete, please select the 'PSI Secure Browser Set Up':
6. Next, please move through the steps in the Install PSI Secure Browser pop up in Installer:
7. You will then be asked to pick a camera and microphone to use during the exam. Please then click 'choose':
8. Now, paste the previously copied exam code and click 'validate':
9. Make sure the correct exam is selected (it should be automatically), and click 'Next':
11. Read the exam rules, and click 'Next':
12. If you have any windows or programs open that are not permitted during proctoring, you will see the following screen. Please click the red 'terminate this application' button, and then click the blue 'recheck':
13. The Software Secure browser will now prompt you to take a picture of your identity verification card (we accept IDs that include your full name and picture, such as a license or passport). Please make sure that the ID photo is clear, and that your name is readable.
14. You will then be prompted to scan your room. Please make sure to clearly and slowly show your entire, clear desk.
15. Next, please take a photo of just your face. Please make sure that your face is well let and clear in the picture.
16. You will now be prompted to log into edX.org in the secure proctoring browser:
17. After you log in, please click 'Start My Exam':
18. You will now see the ungraded questions in the practice proctored exam. Please make sure to click 'Submit' for each question you answer. After finishing the exam, please click the 'End My Exam' button at the top of your screen:
19. Lastly click 'Yes, end my proctored exam'.
20. You will see the following message to confirm that you completed the practice proctored exam:
If you instead see a message that your practice proctored exam failed: You completed the exam, but there were issues with the proctoring software. Some parts of the proctoring checks might have failed, or the proctoring software window might have closed before the exam ended.
You can retry a practice exam as many times as you want to. If you received a failed result on your practice exam, you should try to fix any issues and take the practice exam again until you achieve a successful result. Doing so will help you to make sure you can successfully take a graded proctored exam in the course.
If you have problems with the proctoring software, select contact edX Support here.