Proctored exams are timed exams that you take while proctoring software monitors your computer's desktop, webcam video and audio. The data recorded by the proctoring software is transferred to a proctoring service for review. Proctored exams may or may not be required for your course and enrollment track. If you are required to take a proctored exam for your verified certificate:
- You cannot take proctored exams using the edX mobile app
- You will need to install the proctoring software on your computer each time you take an exam
- Before you take the exam, you must verify your identity by taking a webcam photo of your face, your photo ID, and use a webcam to scan the desk and the room where you will take the exam.
- While you take the exam, you must follow edX's proctoring rules and requirements. If your course exam has different rules, your course team will let you know.
- While you take the exam, the proctoring software monitors your computer, including any software that is running, and streams the exam data to the proctoring software via the cloud. The software also records video and audio from your webcam.
After you end your exam, the exam session is reviewed by the proctoring service. You will receive results within 5 days of submitting the exam.
To be eligible for course credit, you must pass the exam and also receive a Satisfactory result for the proctoring review.
Get started with a proctored exam
View the Proctoring Software System Requirements to ensure that your setup will work, as well as the steps to prepare to take a proctored exam. You must have a working webcam, and we recommend 1GB of free space on your machine. Your space should be uncluttered, with no writing visible on walls or surfaces, and you must be alone in the room. More details about your test-taking environment will be provided within the course materials.
Proctoring services on edX are supplied by a 3rd party vendor called Software Secure. If you get stuck or have a technical issue with the proctoring software you are welcome to contact Software Secure's chat which is available 24/7 or call them at 1-844-224-9759.