If you would like to change the name on your account after earning an edX certificate, you may be required to verify your identity.
To verify your identity, please follow these steps:
1) First, make the name change you wish to make on your Account settings page by clicking 'Edit' next to your name. After making your update click 'Save'
2) If you are making a significant name change, you will see a message stating 'This name change requires identity verification'. Please click 'Continue':
3) Next, you will be asked to enter your name exactly as it appears on your photo identification card. The name on your ID must exactly match the name you enter during this step. After entering your full name, please click 'Continue':
4) Next, you will follow the instructions through ID verification. First, you will take a photo of yourself.
5) Next, you will take a photo of your ID card (like a passport, driver's license, or school or work ID).
6) Finally, you will be asked to once again confirm your name exactly matches your ID card. Please click 'Next':
7) Finally, you will see a page with both of your photos, as well as your name. After confirming your information, click 'Submit'.
You can then check to see that your photos are pending review on your Account settings page:
Reviews generally take 2-5 business days. Once your photos are approved, your name change will show on your Account settings page.
If your first attempt to verify your identity fails, please review these tips:
- Make sure your face is well lit and fills the picture window in the first image. Optimal camera positioning varies with each computer, but generally the best position for a headshot is approximately 12-18 inches (30-45 centimeters) from the camera, with your head centered relative to the computer screen.
- Make sure your photo identification card fills the window and your name is visible in the second photo. Generally, the best position for a photo of an ID card is 8-12 inches (20-30 centimeters) from the camera, with the ID card centered relative to the camera.
- We accept most official identification cards that have your name and photo on one side like Passports, driver's licenses, work or school IDs
- The name on your ID must exactly match the name you enter during the first step of ID verification, including being in the same language/alphabet.
- Do not submit blurry photos. If the image you submit is rejected as unreadable, try moving the camera slightly relative to the room’s main light source, which should be in front of your face or ID card.
If your computer does not have a camera, you can also use a mobile device that has a camera by opening your Account settings page on the mobile browser, and changing your name there. You also may borrow a friend's computer to verify then use yours to take the courses. Chrome on iOS does not support camera access. Please use a different browser to complete ID verification.