Most edX courses have the option to audit for free. As a free audit learner, you will have temporary access to all course materials except graded assignments, and you will not earn a certificate the end of the course.
How to enroll in the audit track
If a course is available in the audit track, the course enrollment page will mention a FREE option.
Click the Enroll button to enroll.
Note: If you're interested in auditing one of our XSeries, Professional Certificate, MicroMasters, or MicroBachelors programs, please read this article for steps to enroll.
After you click Enroll you'll have the option to Upgrade Now or Continue. If you select Continue you can still upgrade later if the upgrade deadline hasn't passed.
Enjoy the audit track
- Start learning for free and upgrade later if the upgrade deadline hasn't passed
- Access course readings and video lectures
- Complete any ungraded, practice assignments if the course features any
- Participate in the the course discussion forums
- View progress of any ungraded practice assignments
- Expires after the estimated course length has passed
Upgrade to the verified track to earn a certificate
Certificates are not available in the free audit track. If the upgrade deadline has not passed, you may upgrade to the verified track. You can read more about the features of the verified track here.